Our mentoring program supports newcomers (international people) learning process and transition by providing informal interaction with local people. Volunteer mentors connect with their mentees a few times a month. Scheduling is flexible and allows for the mentor and the mentee to arrange meeting times spontaneously.
What to expect?
- Invite newcomers to interact with the mentor in social gathering settings such as family gatherings, community events, sports, and other social networking activities.
- Provide interactive platforms for English learners to practice their language skills and learn about the local culture
- Encourage newcomers as they transition into the workplace, school and local community
- Provide opportunities for newcomers to build new friendships
- Connect with a newcomer a few times a month for about 1 hour at each meeting
The mentoring program attracts multi-generations and diverse groups of people who are fluent in the English language. We have young working professionals, college students, young couples and middle-aged couples, teenagers team up with their mom or dad, retired individuals, and stay-at-home moms. Mentors are required to have a vulnerable sector police check.
Who can apply for a mentor?
International Students – Immigrants – Temporary Foreign Workers – Long-term Visitors to Canada – Holiday workers.
Participating in local sports culture provides the opportunities for newcomers to interact with our community. Our Soccer team comprise of players from various countries. We play in the Medicine Hat Men’s Recreation League, both indoor and outdoor seasons. Stay tuned for future sports initiatives.
We also sponsor tournaments to create awareness for relief efforts locally and internationally.
Click Barefoot Soccer Tournament to see our previous events.
Contact us to join our soccer community
The Connection has different areas for you to get involved. Whether you are interested in mentoring a student on a weekly basis, helping to drive students to events, becoming part of our strategy and event team, or opening your home to host some of our events. We would appreciate your support in whatever interests you. Complete our Volunteer Form and we can contact you to discuss your options.
The Next Village
Our passion – Equip our volunteers to help vulnerable people
Our focus – Raise funds and recruit human resources to support: displaced families with food and shelter – fund water wells for communities in arid climate – sponsor medical clinics – fund education for vulnerable children